Network Neighborhood Connections for Windows to Unix Samba Servers
Qualifications for a Windows computer to reach the print/fileservers through the Network Neighborhood.
- Your computer has a registered ip address on the subnets of Chemistry or Geological Sciences
- Your computer is in a workgroup registered in Chemistry or Geological
- To see or change your group, right mouse click on your Computer.
- Go down to Properties
- Under the name tag, go to Advanced
- Change your workgroup to one of the following:
- Request an account on chemps or geops by emailing Margaret_Doll@brown.edu
- If your Windows password matches the password on the server, you will log into the server when you log into your Windows account.
On Windows XP, go to Network Neighborhood or View my Network. chemps or geops should appear in the group. Double click on the server's name and you are in.
If chemps or geops does not appear in the list, go to
- Start at the bottom of the screen,
- Search and continue through until you reach the message about searching for a computer
- Type in either chemps for the Chemistry Department or geops for the Department of Geological Sciences.
- Double click on the results of the search and you are in.