ATOC5051, Fall 2008
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 1
This reading assignment focuses on observations, both old-fashioned and new. The readings are:
- Emery, Talley, and Pickard's Descriptive Physical Oceanography, 7th ed. Chapter 6.
- Siedler, Church & Gould's WOCE Volume, The Ocean: Circulation and Climate Chapter 2.1.
The reading quiz is due by 11AM (class time) on 9/02. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Siedler, Church & Gould's WOCE Volume, The Ocean: Circulation and Climate, Chapters 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 on observational methods.
- Emery, Talley, and Pickard's Descriptive Physical Oceanography, 7th ed, Chapter 7 on data analysis.
- Sverdrup, Johnson, and Fleming's The Ocean, Chapter 10 on traditional observations (circa 1950).
- Chapters 1 and 2 of Robert H. Stewart's Introduction to Physical Oceanography history and introduction.
- "Ready to Roll" and "What Do You Mean Mean?" from 2007's class.
- Wunsch's The Ocean Inverse Problem, Chapter 2 on basic dynamics and questions about the world ocean circulation.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 22 on data assimilation techniques.
- NASA's Remote Sensing Tutorial.