ATOC5051, Fall 2008
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 3
This reading assignment introduces the effects of the Earth's rotation and the stratified density structure of the ocean.
- Geoff Vallis's Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 2.1, 2.3-2.4, 2.6-2.9, 2.12.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 8.1-8.7.
The reading quiz is due by 11AM (class time) on 9/23. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Joe Pedlosky's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Chapters 1, 2.
- The rest of Vallis Chp. 2.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapters 2, 3, 4, 11, 15.