ATOC5051, Fall 2008
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 4
This reading assignment introduces multilayer models, potential vorticity, and geostrophic adjustment.
- Geoff Vallis's Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 3.1-3.6, 3.8-3.10.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 12.1-12.4, 15.1-15.4.
The reading quiz is due by 11AM (class time) on 9/30. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Joe Pedlosky's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapters 1, 2.
- The rest of Vallis Chp. 3.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapters 2, 3, 4, 11, 12, 15.