ATOC5051, Fall 2008
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 9
This final reading assignment covers waves.
- Pijush Kundu's Fluid Mechanics, Chapter 7.1-7.5, 7.10, 7.17, 7.19.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 9.1-9.5.
The reading quiz is due by 11AM (class time) on 11/18. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Kelvin, Poincare, Rossby Waves: Geoff Vallis's Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 3.7, 5.7, 5.8, and 5.A.
- Internal and Nonlinear Gravity Waves: The rest of Kundu Chp. 7.
- Internal Waves: Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 13.
- ENSO: Tomczak and Godfrey's Regional Oceanography: An Introduction, Chapter 19.