ATOC5051, Fall 2010
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 10
This reading assignment covers the basic kinematics of waves and introduces the physics of internal and surface gravity waves.
- Pijush Kundu's Fluid Mechanics, Chapter 7.1-7.6, 7.9-7.10, 7.16-7.19.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Appendix B and Chapter 13.
- Waves in Fluids Movie (Needs Realplayer).
The reading quiz is due by 11AM (class time) on 11/18. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Nonlinear Gravity Waves: The rest of Kundu Chp. 7.
- Chapman and Malanotte-Rizzoli's Notes on Henderschott's Wave Motions in the Ocean : A readable and short ocean wave text.