ATOC5051, Spring 2010
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 11
This reading assignment covers waves on a rotating planet.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 9.1-9.6.
- Kelvin, Poincare, Rossby Waves: Geoff Vallis's Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 1.8, Chapter 2.10-2.11, Chapter 3.7, 5.7, 5.8, and 5.A.
The reading quiz is due by class time. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 16.5.
- Joe Pedlosky's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 3.
- Pijush Kundu's Fluid Mechanics, Chapter 7.