ATOC5051, Spring 2010
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 3: Week 5
This reading assignment introduces the effects of the Earth's rotation in conjunction with friction
- Geoff Vallis's Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 2.12.
- Cushman-Roisin and Becker's Introduction to GFD Chapters 4.1-4.6, Chapters 8.1-8.7.
- Rotating Flow Movie (Needs Realplayer).
The reading quiz is due by class time. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Fundamentals-Boundary Layers (Needs Realplayer).
- Tomczak and Godfrey's Regional Oceanography: An Introduction, Chapter 4: Ekman
- Chapters 8 and 9 of Robert H. Stewart's Introduction to Physical Oceanography: Equations of Motion with Viscosity, Response of the Upper Ocean to Winds.
- Joe Pedlosky's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Chapters 1, 4.
- The rest of Vallis Chapter 2.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapters 2, 3, 4, 11, 15.