ATOC5051, Spring 2010
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 4
This reading assignment introduces the geostrophic balance between Coriolis and pressure gradient forces.
- Geoff Vallis's Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, Chapters 2.8-2.9, and 3.1.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 7.1-7.5.
- Rotating Flow Movie (Needs Realplayer).
The reading quiz is due by class time. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Pressure Fields and Fluid Acceleration Movie (Needs Realplayer).
- Joe Pedlosky's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapters 1, 2.
- Chapter 10 of Robert H. Stewart's Introduction to Physical Oceanography an alternative discussion of geostrophy.