ATOC5051, Spring 2010
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 6
This reading assignment covers vorticity, potential vorticity, and geostrophic adjustment.
- Geoff Vallis's Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, Chapters 3.6, 3.8, 4.
- Joe Pedlosky's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 2.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 15.2-15.4.
- Vorticity, Part 1 Movie (Needs Realplayer).
- Vorticity, Part 2 (Needs Realplayer).
The reading quiz is due by class time. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Chapter 12 of Robert H. Stewart's Introduction to Physical Oceanography.