ATOC5051, Spring 2010
Intro to Physical Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 7
This reading assignment covers Sverdrup, Stommel, and Munk models of the wind-driven ocean circulation.
- Geoff Vallis's Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 14.
- Cushman-Roisin and Beckers's Introduction to Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Chapter 20.1-20.3.
- Joe Pedlosky's Ocean Circulation Theory Chapters 1, 2.
The reading quiz is due by class time. It can be accessed through CULearn.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Chapter 11 of Robert H. Stewart's Introduction to Physical Oceanography.
- The introduction of Baylor Fox-Kemper's PhD dissertation: Friction and Eddies: Removal of Vorticity from the Wind-Driven Gyre.