GEOL1100, Spring 2013
Global Physical/Descriptive Oceanography, or Notions for the Motions of the Oceans
Reading Assignment 1: Weeks 1-2
This reading assignment focuses on observations, both old-fashioned and new. The readings are:
- Descriptive Physical Oceanography, 7th ed. Chapters 1-2, 6
Homework Assignment (Due 1/31/13)
- Get matlab running on a computer you plan to use. http://software.brown.edu/dist/multi-matlabr2010b.html
- Do my matlab primer
- If you are very confused, do a better matlab tutorial
- Download this file: http://fox-kemper.com/data/Reid-Mantyla/Reid-Mantyla.mat
- Open the file
- Make a plot that is somehow meaningful to you...
- Label the axes and write a caption (Do you know units? can you figure them out? Where/when was the data collected?, etc.) You may find the other files in the same directory helpful: http://fox-kemper.com/data/Reid-Mantyla/
- Print and bring to class or email me a pdf of the labeled, captioned, figure.
Optional additional reading may be useful for the assignment:
- Siedler, Church & Gould's WOCE Volume, The Ocean: Circulation and Climate, Chapters 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 on observational methods.
- "3 Kinds of Lies" from 2010's class. username: atoc5051_10 password: Oshuns?Noshuns!
- "3 Kinds of Lies" from 2008's class. username: atoc5051_08 password: 2OshunNoshun?
- "Ready to Roll" and "What Do You Mean Mean?" from 2007's class. username: atoc5051_07 password: 4OshunNoshun! (Note: these were not revised papers, so they are first drafts.)